Saturday, May 23, 2009

He asked me if I'd seen a road with so much dust and sand...

...and I said, I've travelled every road in this here land.' As I wrestle with wind throwing me into the sand and choke on the dirt that fills my lungs, all that keeps me going is good ol' Johnny Cash.

It is a God forsaken land in Northern Kenya. The days are so hot, the road so tough, and the wind so windy!! We made it from Isiolo to Marsabit in 5 long days. Didn't even think I'd make it after falling over so many times, lying helplessly in the sand. But we're only halfway to the end of the rough road, and not even to the roughest part yet.

It's only me and Nate now. It was a sad day when we parted three ways in Isiolo. Orian left early in the morning to catch a ride to Ethiopia. Quinn left after breakfast back to Nairobi. I couldn't help but let the tears run down when I thought of our long journey still ahead. The Northern Kenyan desert was looming before us. just us two-the two rookies. What would we do about the bandits? And water? And the rocky, sandy road? And the unrelenting sun?

But we all had to move on. And I thought back to leaving Karen, Ariel, and Seager after my cross US trip. We would all be alright and thinking of each other. What could I do? I took a deep sigh, loaded up my bike, and started pedaling...

No comments:

Post a Comment